We've put together some basic do's and don'ts for businesses using Trustpilot. Keep in mind they're for guidance only and aren't a substitute for reading and understanding the Guidelines for Businesses.
Jump to the Attachments section to download the pdf version.
Who can write a review
- Allow all customers that had an experience with your business within the last 12 months to leave a review.
- Allow employees to leave a review, even if they’ve had an experience with your business.
- Allow close family members or those with a ‘vested interest’ in the business to leave a review.
- Leave reviews for a competitor.
Collecting reviews on business premises
- Inform us if you wish to collect reviews on your premises to ensure you have the correct permission.
- Ensure customers are free to leave reviews without interference or coercion from staff.
- Ensure all customers are free to leave a review regardless of them having a positive or negative experience.
- Provide equipment (e.g. a tablet) for customers to leave a review.
- Leave a review on behalf of a customer or offer suggestions as to what the customer should write.
- Watch a customer leave a review.
- Ensure the language of the invitation is clear and not leading.
- Ensure the invitation is made at the same point in the customer journey for all customers.
- Ensure invitations are made to all customers rather than selecting only those with a positive experience.
- Offer an incentive or prize linked to leaving a review.
- Filter out those customers who have had a negative experience from receiving an invitation.
- Ask for a positive review.
- Request that a customer with a negative experience contact support before leaving a review.
Responding to reviews
- Be polite in your response.
- Offer further support or assistance to help solve an issue.
- Thank the reviewer for leaving a review.
- Include personal details.
- Use aggressive or threatening language.
- Request that a review is amended, removed or updated.
- Use Find Reviewer before flagging a review of a user you don’t recognize.
- Ensure you are flagging for the correct reason. Here’s our guide outlining the types of content we can remove under each reason.
- Flag any reviews you believe to be against our guidelines, regardless of its star rating.
- Only flag negative reviews.
- Flag a review multiple times just to try and get rid of the review.
- Race through flagging reviews without carefully considering why it breaches our guidelines.
- Flag reviews for the wrong reason.
Your business profile
- Update your profile to show details about your business.
- Ensure the information displayed is correct.
- Ensure the page links to the correct domain.
- Change the details to display incorrect information or that of a competitor.
- Change the link to a domain other than that being reviewed.
- Change the thumbnail to display a picture not in connection with your business.