Table of contents
If a product review photo or text doesn’t meet our guidelines, you can report it via your Trustpilot business account.
Before you report a review
Have you tried replying to the reviewer? We believe talking to your customers leads to better customer satisfaction. And reviewers can update their review to reflect new developments. That’s why we always encourage you to contact the author of the review directly.
Reasons for reporting a product review:
1. It’s harmful or illegal
If you choose this reason, you’ll be asked to choose a sub-reason:
- Hate speech or discrimination. We can remove content like racial slurs or abuse, or attacks against protected groups of people.
- Terrorism. We can remove content that intends to radicalize people, spreads harmful propaganda, mobilizes support for terrorist activities, or relates to violent extremism.
- Threats or violence. We can remove content such as cyberbullying, intimidation, stalking, promotion of gang culture, and death threats.
- Obscenity. We can remove content that’s extremely offensive or grotesque.
- Defamation. We can remove content that unjustly causes significant damage to people’s reputations.
- Nudity or pornography. Only applicable to product review photos.
We don’t remove content just because you dislike or disagree with it, or it criticizes your business.
2. It includes personal information
We can remove things like names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, and anything else that could be used to identify someone.
However, we don’t remove information that’s already in the public domain, or the reviewer’s own personal information.
3. It’s advertising or promotional
We can remove content that includes a promotional code, a call to action, or advertises for another business or an unrelated product.
We don’t remove content just because it mentions another business or you disagree with it.
Note: As of April 2020, a review can only be reported for one reason at a time. If there’s more than one problem with the review, please report for the most serious reason.
How to report a product review
- Log in to your business account.
- Go to Reviews > Product reviews on the left-hand menu. Find the review you intend to report and below that review, click Report.
- A window will appear explaining the reporting steps. Click Continue to create a report.
- Choose whether you want to report the review text or a photo.
- Choose the reason you are reporting the review text or photo and click Continue. If you choose the reason “Harmful or illegal”, you’ll also be asked to choose a sub-reason.
- A report summary will show the reason you selected and information about what happens next. Check the box that you understand misusing the reporting tool is a breach of our Guidelines for Businesses. Click Submit.
How long does it take to process a report?
That depends. If we need to get in touch with the reviewer, we normally give them seven days to respond. Sometimes there’s a bit of back and forth, like when the reviewer edits their review but it’s still not compliant, so we give them another seven days to make the requested changes.
See the status of reported reviews
You can track the status of your report in Trustpilot Business > Reviews > Product reviews. Find the review you’ve reported and select Show more in the upper-right corner. We’ll also notify you about the outcome.