Table of contents
If a product review photo or text doesn’t meet our guidelines, you can flag it via your Trustpilot business account.
Before you flag a review
Have you tried replying to the reviewer? We believe talking to your customers leads to better customer satisfaction. And reviewers can update their review to reflect new developments. That’s why we always encourage you to contact the author of the review directly.
Reasons for flagging a product review:
1. It’s harmful or illegal
If you choose this reason, you’ll be asked to choose a sub-reason:
- Hate speech or discrimination. We can remove content that attacks or uses derogatory or discriminatory language with reference to a person or a group on the basis of who they are, e.g., based on their religion, ethnicity, nationality, race, color, descent, gender, or other identity factor.
- Terrorism. We can remove content that intends to radicalize people, spreads harmful propaganda, mobilizes support for terrorist activities, or relates to violent extremism.
- Threats or violence. We can remove content that contains serious threats or threats of violence. For example, calls to target people or businesses with abuse or harassment online, and behavior that urges offline action such as physical harassment or destruction to property.
- Obscenity. We can remove content that contains graphic depictions of acts that are violent, sexual, or gory.
- Defamation. We can remove content that is likely to cause serious harm to someone’s reputation or serious financial loss to a business.
- Nudity or pornography. Only applicable to product review photos.
We don’t remove content just because you dislike or disagree with it, or it criticizes your business.
2. It includes personal information
We can remove things like names, phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses.
However, we don’t remove information that’s already in the public domain, or the reviewer’s own personal information.
3. It’s advertising or promotional
We can remove content that includes a promotional code, a call to action, or advertises another business or an unrelated product.
We don’t remove content just because it mentions another business or you disagree with it.
Note: As of April 2020, a review can only be flagged for one reason at a time. If there’s more than one problem with the review, please flag for the most serious reason.
How to flag a product review
- Log in to your Trustpilot Business account.
- Go to Reviews > Product reviews on the left-hand menu. Find the review you intend to flag and below that review, click Report.
- Choose whether you want to flag the review text or photo, and click Continue.
- Choose the reason you are flagging the review text or photo and click Continue. If you choose the reason “Harmful or illegal”, you’ll also be asked to choose a sub-reason.
- A summary will show the reason you selected and information about what happens next. Check the box that you understand misusing the flagging tool is a breach of our Guidelines for Businesses. Click Submit.
How long does it take to process?
That depends. If we need to get in touch with the reviewer, we normally give them 7 days to respond. Sometimes there’s a bit of back and forth, like when the reviewer edits their review but it’s still not compliant, so we give them another 7 days to make the requested changes.
See the status of flagged reviews
You can track the status in Trustpilot Business > Reviews > Product reviews. Find the review you’ve flagged and select Show more in the upper-right corner. We’ll also notify you about the outcome.