Ready to implement one of Trustpilot’s TrustBox widgets? Curious about performance and loading speed? This article will walk you through everything you need to know.
Before starting, keep in mind that implementation may require help from your Webmaster. And if you’re not quite sure what widget(s) you'd like to implement, we recommend reading this introduction to TrustBoxes and Targeted TrustBoxes.
- Log in to your Trustpilot Business Account.
- Click on Integrations to access the TrustBox Library and get an overview of all the TrustBoxes you can access.
- You can filter to see TrustBox types, e.g., TrustBoxes optimized for SEO. You can also click on the TrustBoxes to see live previews.
- Once you've chosen a TrustBox, you can configure the widget by following the steps under Get your TrustBox.
- When you're ready to implement, click Get Code. Or choose Email me this code, if you prefer receiving the code by email or sending it to your developer.
- Copy the code into the HEAD section of your website (you only have to do this once whether you're adding one or several TrustBoxes).
- Add the HTML to the BODY where you'd like the TrustBox(es) to be displayed.
Note: If you can't put the script in the HEAD section, it is possible to put it in the BODY section BEFORE the HTML. But keep in mind that this may have an impact on website performance.
Most of our TrustBoxes are responsive. They can be configured to use different height and width attributes, which makes them adaptable to fit different screen sizes. They have internal breakpoints, which ensure that the content position is adapted to the given dimensions. If needed, scrolling is introduced. Note: We recommend checking the minimum and maximum values of your TrustBoxe(s) before implementing them.
When implemented on a website, the TrustBox is embedded in an iframe. The iframe does not fully support resizing, so the TrustBox will not be completely fluid in all dimensions. This means that when you resize your browser window, the TrustBox can be fluidly resized in width but will remain fixed in height. For this to work, it is important that you set the width to 100% and adjust the height of your DOM elements to fit the minimum height of the TrustBox.
Performance and loading speed
TrustBoxes will not have an impact on your website performance. The TrustBox script loads asynchronously on the page. Using asynchronous scripts allows your page to render quickly because the script loads and executes in the background while the page continues to be parsed. In other words, loading the TrustBox script does not slow down your website.
Data is cached in our CDN (Content Delivery Network) and delivered within 300-500 ms each time the site is loaded with the TrustBox. That means the very first time you load your website following implementation, the TrustBox may load slowly. However, as soon as it fetches data from the servers, it will load instantly.
If Trustpilot experiences downtime, the TrustBoxes will also experience downtime. Rest assured, this is not something that happens often. And if a TrustBox is slow, a fall-back image will be shown while it loads in the background.
Adding a TrustBox to your eCommerce store
The following Magento article provides instructions on how to add content in Magento's Content Management System. The Page Layout section describes how to insert the script, while the Widgets section describes how to add HTML to the body.