Businesses can report reviews that violate our guidelines. They should do so using their Trustpilot business account, and must provide a public reason for reporting.
If a review doesn’t meet our guidelines, you can report it to our Content Integrity Team, along with an explanation to our community as to why it doesn't belong on Trustpilot. The reported review will be temporarily hidden while we investigate it, but your reason for reporting will be visible to everyone.
Before you report a review
Customer reviews are the essence of Trustpilot's online review community. We aim to provide a neutral space with trustworthy reviews that can help you learn how to improve your customer service and thereby boost your reputation.
In many cases, the best option for businesses is to respond to the review by leaving a reply below it. People appreciate businesses listening to their feedback and following up on complaints. In our experience, companies that engage can win over unhappy customers, gain respect from new customers and resolve issues. Note also that if reviewers change their opinion about a company, they can update their review to reflect that.
Get to know the reasons why companies can report service reviews and note that disagreeing with the reviewer about the course of events is not one of them. We have to take a neutral stance in respect to disputes between companies and reviewers because we're not in a position to determine which set of facts is correct.
A review can only be reported once, unless it's updated by the reviewer. So if a review breaches our User Guidelines (US, UK) for multiple reasons, companies should select all the reasons that apply and specify the details for each reason.
How to report a service review
When you're ready to report, follow these steps:
- Log in to your business account.
- Select Reviews on the left-hand menu then select Service reviews. Find the review you intend to report and below that review, select Report.
- A window will appear explaining the reporting steps. Select Continue to create a report.
- A window will appear with different reporting options. Select whether you want to report part(s) of the review, the whole review, or the eligibility of the reviewer to write a review. Click on the drop down arrow to open each of these sections and see the different reporting options.
- Check the box(es) for the relevant reporting reason(s). You may be asked to provide details explaining why the review violates our User Guidelines in this way. Be as specific as possible. Select Continue when you're done.
- A report summary will show the reasons you've selected to report the review. Make sure these are correct. Select Back if you need to change your reasons or Continue to proceed. You can also remove individual reasons for reporting by clicking the cross in the upper right-hand corner of each blue box.
- Next, a window will appear asking you to create a public version of your report. Your public reporting reason will be visible to everyone on Trustpilot.
- Check that you're happy with what you've written because once you've posted this text, you won't be able to edit it. A preview showing how your report will look to Trustpilot users is shown on the right.
- Select Submit and publish report to send your report. The review will be temporarily hidden while we investigate it, but your reason for reporting the review will be public and visible to everyone.
Please be patient
Our Content Integrity Team works to handle reported reviews as quickly as possible, so please be patient. If we need to contact the review's author, we normally allow 7 days for them to respond. But sometimes there's back and forth between the reviewer and our Content Integrity Team, which can take longer.
See the status of reported reviews
You can track the status of reported reviews in Trustpilot Business > Reviews > Service reviews. Find the review you've reported and select Show more in the upper-right corner.
You can also get an overview of all your reporting activities in Trustpilot Business > Reviews > Service reviews > Reporting activity.