Use Trustpilot’s business categories to list and compare your company with other similar businesses. Select and apply for categories using your Trustpilot Business Account.
- Main category: A general category that serves as an umbrella for more specific sub-categories. For example, "clothes & fashion" or "electronics".
- Sub-category: A specific category that belongs under a main category. For example, "activewear" under the main category "clothes & fashion", or "cellular accessories" under "electronics".
- Primary category: The category you choose as your primary business area.
- Extra categories: You can choose up to five other areas that your business operates in. This means each domain can have a total of six categories – one primary and five extras.
How do I apply for categories on Trustpilot?
Businesses using Trustpilot - both free and paid accounts - can select one primary category, and apply for up to five extra categories. Please note that this is per domain.
Log in to your Business Account and select Company Profile on the left-hand side of the page.
- In the top menu, click Categories.
- Select a category from either the main categories or the sub-categories.
- Select one category at a time. Complete your selection by selecting the Save Category button. The first time you apply for a category, a confirmation box appears.
- You can repeat the selection process to add up to a total of six categories.
- Select one category as your Primary category.
- To speed up the process, describe why your company fits within these categories. Please add a URL webpage link to your company’s main products/services, or briefly describe your company’s main products/services to help our Compliance Team verify your application.
- When you've finished selecting categories, complete the action by clicking the Send in request button. This will send your category application to our Compliance Team for verification.
- The approved categories will be listed under the Your current categories section, on the category module. Once your request has been approved, it can take up to 2 business days for your domain to appear on Trustpilot’s category page.
Tips for selecting categories
- Think about which categories best describe your company’s main business/industry.
- Think about which categories cover the products and services that make up your company's main profit centers.
What we look at to verify your category application
- Is there a section on your website that shows that you sell products/services relevant to the category application?
- Does the application fit with Trustpilot's category definitions, which define all of the categories available on Trustpilot?
- Does this seem consistent with industry classifications on government business registration sites (such as The US Securities & Exchange Commission, gov.uk in the UK, or virk.dk in Denmark)?
When can your category application be approved?
- If an active section of your website explicitly shows that you sell products/services that are relevant to the categories you applied for.
- If your industry classification – according to government business registration guidelines (such as gov.uk in the UK or virk.dk in Denmark) – is relevant to the categories you applied for.
When can your category application be rejected?
- If you have not directed us to an active section of your website that shows your business sells the products/services that are relevant to the category or categories applied for. Note that if your website is under maintenance or not active yet, we won't be able to verify whether you sell the products/services that are relevant to the category you have applied for.
- If your industry classification – according to government business registration guidelines (such as gov.uk in the UK or virk.dk in Denmark) – is not relevant to the category or categories you applied for.
- If you are already assigned to six categories and have applied for additional ones. Businesses can only assign a maximum of six categories to each domain. If you want to change categories, please delete some of your categories before applying for new ones.
How to apply for additional categories
- Follow the above steps: How to Apply for Categories on Trustpilot.
- Make sure that each of your business's domains does not apply for more than six categories.
How to remove categories
- Log in to your Business Account and select Company Profile on the left-hand side of the page.
- Navigate to Categories.
- Under the Change your categories section, click the trash icon for the category you want to remove. Repeat the same action to remove more than one category.
- Finish by selecting the Send in request button.